10 Jul Pull up a chair….let’s chat. A few random facts about me. Now your turn?
So I’m in the middle of updating my ‘About’ page (not live yet) and planning the evolution of this blog and I thought I’d love for you to know me a little better AND for me to know you a WHOLE lot better!
So pull up a chair, grab a cuppa and let’s chat.
I’ll go first…
Here are a few things that you may/may not know about me:
1. I have a carrot-problem. It’s not life-threatening (hehe) but I love them so much that I’m often sporting an orange twinge.
2. I am fanatical about tea (it takes up most of my pantry). I did, however, fall in love with an almond milk latte the other day (my first coffee!). It didn’t, however, love me. Cue racing heart and uncontrollable energy. I think I’ll stick with tea for now!
3. I don’t believe in detoxes or cleanses (our bodies are smart) and you’ll never find me sipping juices/smoothies for days on end because I’m a muncher! Yep, I love texture and crunch and prefer to chew my meals. Give me eggs and vegetables over a green smoothie for breakfast any day, but hey that’s just me!
4. I’m teaching myself to cook (getting better and bolder everyday) and although I can’t provide irrefutable scientific evidence I’m convinced that home-cooked food will never end up on your hips, and at the very least provides a sense of accomplishment ‘..gee I made that…’.
5. I’m about to begin the last semester of my nutrition degree and I am planning to go on to study a masters in nutrition/dietetics. However, I do eat full-fat dairy, use butter in cooking and eat dark chocolate almost every day. I think they will still let me graduate?!
6. I am passionate about whole foods, and simplicity in food and life. My goal is to empower as many people as I can to take charge of their own health, through the learning and enjoyment of growing, preparing, cooking and sharing food. In other words mastering the BASICS- and falling in love with wholesome food.
7. I don’t have perfect health. Despite my healthy, nutrient dense diet, I still suffer from unresolved hormonal and gastrointestinal issues. It’s a work in progress- we’re all human.
8. Moderation isn’t sexy but I truly believe it’s the key to long lasting health and longevity. I’ve slowly learnt to drop the ‘all or nothing’ mentality… “From Monday I will quit all sugar, not eat bread, stop snacking…etc…”
9. Sometimes I can’t be bothered either, but I compromise. If I don’t feel like going to the gym, I go for a long slow walk instead. If I’m too tired to cook a full dinner, I’ll steam some vegetables and top them with a can of salmon in olive oil. It takes 10 mins. In fact I eat this simply, a lot of the time.
10. I am SO not a runner, but I dabble with it here and there. Walking is my thing. I don’t have my license yet, but even when I do I think I will continue walking long and far. I find the simple act of walking brings such clarity. I always get my best ideas on foot.
You don’t want to see me do a push-up though…I have barely any upper body strength. Yep, I was the kid that couldn’t do the monkey bars. Thankfully it no longer scars me! 😉
11. I’m Mediterranean (Italian) by blood so don’t make me choose between coconut and olive oil (you know who will win). Food has always meant more than just physical sustenance. It’s an expression of love, a social pillar and made for sharing. Yep, I was destined to be a foodie.
12. I’ve NEVER eaten a curry. You see, I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to spicy food but I’m building my tolerance slowly. I know, however, that curries do NOT have to be hot so I’m keen to resolve this STAT and experiment with a few recipes. Suggestions for mild/aromatic versions?
13. I’d rather buy crockery than shoes (I’m rubbish in high heels anyway). Yep, prop finding and food styling are my growing hobbies (an addiction…potentially). I’m also learning how to use a proper camera, so you can look forward to beautiful shots of food on the site. It’s time I gave the right side of my brain the attention that it deserves.
14. I’m itching and busting to travel abroad again. First stop…the UK (to work with Jamie Oliver of course!).
15. I am the world’s messiest cook. Recipe development brings serious carnage, but I do clean up after myself…I promise!
Now it’s YOUR turn. Leave a comment below introducing yourself.
Be as HONEST and/or BOLD as you like. I want to get to know you ALL really well.